Saturday, March 2, 2013

REVIEW: Splintered by A.G. Howard

Splintered
by
Publisher:  Amulet Books
Released:  January 1, 2013
Source:  Netgalley

Goodreads Summary:
This stunning debut captures the grotesque madness of a mystical under-land, as well as a girl’s pangs of first love and independence. Alyssa Gardner hears the whispers of bugs and flowers—precisely the affliction that landed her mother in a mental hospital years before. This family curse stretches back to her ancestor Alice Liddell, the real-life inspiration for Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Alyssa might be crazy, but she manages to keep it together. For now.
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

My thoughts:
I read Splintered almost 2 months ago, and in that time, most of you have already read it.  So I think I'll just tell you my feelings about Splintered.
This book totally blew my mind.  As a debut author, A.G. Howard has a very bright future if she keeps this up. Splintered sucked me in and wouldn't let go.  It creeped me out but I kept going back for more.  The world building was phenomenal.  I felt like I was right there with the characters.  Speaking of the characters, I had a love/hate relationship with Alyssa and Morpheus.  But I adored Jeb.  Alyssa got on my nerves sometimes when she wouldn't open up about things.  I really hated Morpheus until the very, very end.  But his character was like none I've ever read about.  He was amazing.  The way everything worked out in the end gave me chills.  I completely recommend this book to everyone.  There are a couple of mature themes though.

A very deserving 4 stars!!
I would have given it 5 stars but Morpheus really pissed me off most of the time. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment